False ceiling means any ceiling that is suspended below the original ceiling usually to conceal an ugly or too high ceiling or to install fluorescents with translucent panels to give the effect of the entire ceiling being lit up. In short, it is just a second ceiling concealing the original. This section lists the persons who does false ceiling to your roofs along with their particulars.
Types of False Ceiling :
- Gypsum Ceiling
- Plaster of Paris Ceiling
- Fiber Ceiling
- Wooden Ceiling
- Glass Ceiling
- Metal Ceiling
- Synthetic Leather or Cloth Ceiling
Advantages of False Ceiling:
- It provides a smooth homogeneous surface to the roof.
- It provides fire protection as it creates compartmentation.
- False ceiling helps in acoustical treatment.
- It conceals all the non-pleasing elements and hides it from the viewer’s eyes.
- It also hides the pipelines and the electrical cables running in the room. All the ducts of air-conditioning can be hidden under it.
- False ceiling materials are easy to install and cheap as compared to traditional roof systems.
Disadvantages of False Ceiling:
- The most worrying aspect of having a false ceiling would be pests. They can get through into the space between and can start their own breeding which might lead to a lot of trouble.
- Also be careful while putting up decorations or hangings while you have a false ceiling in place. Make sure you know the strength and durability, do’s and don’ts with regard to your ceiling.
- Lastly, the false ceiling would reduce the height of the ceiling considerably and hence do not install false ceiling unless you have a decent ceiling height.
Plaster of Paris Ceiling or POP Ceiling :
Plaster of Paris (POP) is the majorly used material in the construction of false ceiling. POP is obtained when gypsum is heated to a certain degree. It gives the both aesthetical and functional help.
Plaster of Paris false ceiling are attractive, almost no maintenance and has a long life span. They are very excellent insulators or heat and cold.
These types of false ceiling don’t only hide the ugly members of structure, ventilation ducts and conduits but also give smooth finish to the ceiling.
Gypsum False Ceiling:
Gypsum false ceiling is a hydrated sulfate of calcium. This type of false ceiling are lightweight, sound insulated, fire resistance, soft and thermally insulated.
Gypsum false ceiling comes in the shape of square boards that are hung with the help of iron framework. The finishing work on these boards like paints, laminates, wallpapers and texture finish gives good look.
Wooden False Ceiling or Rafters
Wooden false ceiling is used due to its natural textures and pattern. Nowadays this types of false ceiling are used commonly as it gives a pleasant look to the eyes.
Wooden false ceiling being costly, is not used in malls and hospitals but can be installed in residential buildings. They can be given various finishes, or painted to get the right look.
Fiber False Ceiling:
Fiber false ceiling are in high demand for the construction of false ceiling due to low cost and east installation. The material used to manufacture fiber ceiling panels are man made by synthetic and natural minerals. As these are man-made they come in many shapes and sizes.
Glass False Ceiling:
One of the type of false ceiling used in construction are of glass. It is a non-crystalline material with the property of brittle and transparent. But this can be altered to make it non brittle and non-transparent using some admixtures.
As glass is a good insulator of heat, it can be used for false ceiling. This type of false ceiling improves aesthetical appearance of the building.
As metal is a hard and durable material, it is used extensively in the false ceiling. When the metal surface is polished it gives a shiny surface which is a treat for eyes.
The metals used in this are galvanized iron and aluminum. The cost of this ceiling are low as they are easy to install and access. The hidden members of the structure are easily accessed as the panels are easily removable and reattached. The construction cost becomes less as the installation, fixing and maintained is low.
Synthetic Leather or Cloth Ceiling:
The materials used in this type of ceilings are either leather or cloth. As both the used materials are man-made they can be given any form, shape and design which improves the aesthetic view of interior of the building.
As these collects dust and has low light transferring property it’s only used in temporary tents or other temporary buildings.
Drywalls also known as plasterboard or gypsum board is a panel made of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper. Drywalls are usually used to make interior walls and partitions. Drywalls have replaced lath and plaster today because of it is quick to work with.
There are different types of drywall –
• Drylining System
• Interior Partition
• Performance Drywalls
• Wet Area Drywalls
Features of Drywall Interior Partition
• Quick Installation – Drywall are easy to be placed and also need less labor as compared to masonry construction. Also in masonry construction, work needs to be done faster to hand over the job for electrical wiring and other services. While with Drywall, such services like electrical are offered in the system itself. This makes the process easy and quick.
• Dry Construction – Masonry i.e. brick and block construction is quite a laborious task which requires ample of water curing. Whereas with Drywall (as name suggests), is a water free application. It therefore can be put up much faster and also is an easier process.
• Light Weight and Flexible – Drywalls are 8 to 10 times lighter than masonry walls. This lessens a lot of load of the structure. Drywalls are an advantage especially for high-rise structures where not only structural cost is reduced, but also the burden of moving up the heavy material. Studies have shown that having Drywalls saves upto 15% cost.
Light-weightiness of drywalls make them flexible allowing easy customization for interiors. The versatility of drywalls allows one to create space within space.
• Sound Insulators – Offer exceptional acoustic insulation (you can call it sound insulators). They prevent sound movement from one room to other.It can deliver almost 70dB+ level of sound insulation.
• Fire Resistant– Drywalls can withhold fire resistance for almost 4 hours of stability, integrity and insulation. In case fire breaks out, it can be confined to certain area, which gives enough time to the occupants to evacuate the structure.
• Thermal security-Drywalls have low thrermal conductivity but high thermal resistance. This property lowers electrical consumption, reducing the load on air-conditioning units.
• All types of finishes – Can take all types of finishes i.e. like paint or wallpaper or laminates, etc.
• Durability – Drywall Interior Partitions are strong and full-bodied and can characteristically last for lifetime of a building unless they are subjected to alteration.
• Cost Effective – Lastly, drywalls are super cost effective alternative to masonry walls that takes time to build.
Installation of Drywall Interior Partition
Drywall is truly a wall system consisting of GI steel frame which is encased in gypsum plasterboard.The Drywalls are attached to each other on either side with self-drilling drywall screws.For huge partitions and walls, the joints are taped and finished with gypsum jointing compounds.
False Ceiling Maintenance
Well to all those homeowners and makers who are extra careful about cleanliness, false ceiling is a way to go.
I mean, maintaining the beauty and delicacy of false ceiling is a hassle free job. Gypsum board false ceiling can easily be maintained like any other plastered surface. No special maintenance is required. For any dust accumulation it can be cleaned with broom or a smooth rug, just like other interiors of your house.
While cleaning the False Ceiling Home owner needs to take care for no water contact. Gypsum plasterboard and water don’t go hand in hand. Water will damage the ceiling finish and durability too. False ceiling are always completed and finished with a coat of final paint.For ceilings with luster paint or Oil based paint can be cleaned with damp cloth.
Here We have tried to cover brief points of each and every aspect of false ceilings but its a vast subject
To know more about the designs and estimates please click here and visit Tranquil Designs