Now after facing the truth that the Corian is a brand and not the product,lets give you few facts about one of the recent stone in trend being blabbered by most of the clients to be used at their dream spaces to cast out a luxury aroma, that is ONYX and is also called Travertine stone.
Onyx with red and white bands is sometimes called as “Sardonyx”.
This natural stone has gorgeous, translucence, and different colors. The colors of onyx are soft and sumptuous, almost delicate look. The light shades of golden honey, mint greens, and whirl browns will give you erotic feel. There are various bands or lines of complementary color running all thorough the stone contributing to its exclusive color characteristics. Onyx is an image feast for the eyes.
Onyx is a banded variety of the oxide mineral chalcedony. Agate and onyx are both varieties of layered chalcedony that differ only in the form of the bands: agate has curved bands and onyx has parallel bands…………………
and blah blah and obviously you are not interested in any of its chemical composition but instead definitely must be intrested about its advantages,disadvantages,applications,and the most important the price.
So lets dig them up one after another.
Applications and advantages
- Onyx marble is used most often as a fireplace surround; bar top, or as a small island as it transmits light.Careful consideration is required when using onyx marble at your residential area. Think of your own lifestyle and conditions before purchase onyx as a countertop surface or a bar top.
- It Is also used in wall cladding, light duty home floors, sinks base, and tables. Onyx could also used for novelty items such as vases, urns, wine goblets, lamps and bowls. It really works wonderful where you could accent the stone and use under lighting or backlighting to draw attention of its transparent qualities
- It can be used as countertops and is being used already at most of the site.This greatly under-utilized material is versatile and elegant allowing it to look good almost anywhere. Onyx is considered luxurious in the world of stone for many reasons.
- A more inspiring application is installing onyx as a wall finish or cladding in a grid pattern where the slabs are cut into manageable sized sections and secured to the wall with metal fasteners or channels. Onyx is on the softer end of the stone density scale, making it better suited for interior and vertical applications.
- Another advantage to onyx is that it’s somewhat translucent and has the appearance of being delicate and soft to the touch. This luxurious quality allows it to be easily backlit. Backlighting a stone with even light distribution can greatly enhance the color and movement within a stone.
- Backlit onyx countertops are breathtaking in restaurant bars as well as backlighting onyx on the face of a hotel front desk. Since backlighting stone tends to be magnetic and draws attention, it is often seen in public spaces designed to enlighten or energize the crowd such as casinos, hotel lobbies, and bars.
- Onyx have to be sealed to prevent it from absorbing stain producing liquids into the surface of the material.Areas, where onyx is installed that have high traffic or wear, such as floors and countertops, should be resealed on a regular basis.
- The biggest disadvantage to onyx is that overtime the fill used to make the surface smooth can become loose and will need to be replaced. Filling and then smoothing a travertine floor or countertop is not generally considered to be a home handyman project, as the color matching of the fill, which is critical to the overall appearance, requires a lot of expertise to create a professional finish.
- The above losing of the fill is related to the level of traffic or degree of cleaning of the Onyx stone, the homeowner should consider if the location chosen to use it as the finish material is appropriate for the level of maintenance required.
The Onyx slabs or rather slabs have an starting range of 450rs/sq.ft and goes upto the 3850rs/sq.ft and even above depending on the dye and the stains required.